Directions: There are 40 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the ONE that best completes the sentence. Then write your answer on the Answer Sheet.
1. John will go to school the moment he ______ his work.
A. will finish
D. would finish
2. The surgeon’s advice was that the patient ______at once.
A. to be operated on
B. being operated on
C. be operated on
D. was operated on
3. It is ______one thousand students can live in it.
A. too large a building that
B. so a large building that
C. such large a building that
D. so large a building that
4. Not only ______a promise, but he kept it.
A. does the manager make
B. did the manager make
C. the manager made
D. the manager makes
5. Even if he ______here, he would not be able to help us.
C. has been
D. will be
6. The chairman as well as many other people ______present at the conference.
7. Do you have any idea what she meant? I really can’t ______what she said at the meeting.
A. figure on
B. figure out
C. find out
8. We’ve ______paper and ink. Ask Mrs. Edward to lend us some.
A. run away with
B. run out of
C. run off
D. run down
9. You’d better ______a doctor as soon as possible.
10. After saying that, he ______the door quickly.
A. made up
B. made for
C. made out
D. made up for
11. I gave John a present but he gave me nothing ______.
A. in return
B. in turn
C. in hand
D. in vain
12. She ______to say that she was not interested in what I was talking about.
A. broke out
B. broke in
C. broke down
D. broke up
13. She ______be ill because I saw her playing basketball just now.
14. It is already five o’clock now. Don’t you think it’s about time______.
A. we are going home
B. we go home
C. we went home
D. we can go home
15. All things ______, the planned trip will have to be cancelled.
B. having considered
C. be considered
16. It ______have rained last night, for the ground is wet.
17. If John had told me in advance, I ______him at the airport.
A. would meet
B. will meet
C. am going to meet
D. would have met
18. This year we’ll produce ______steel as we did last year.
A. three times as much
B. as three times much
C. as much three times
D. three times much as
19. I’d rather you ______make any comment on the issue for the time being.
20. The government has promised to do ______lies in its power to ease the hardships of the homeless.
21. ______how to operate a switchboard, I have to ask the office supervisor to show me the correct procedures.
A. Not known
B. Not to know
C. Not knowing
D. Having not known
22. ______is mentioned in some of his stories, the author was brought up in a small village.
23. Since I was a stranger there, I had no one to ______.
A. turn up
B. turn on
C. turn to
D. turn down
24. Words ______meaning, as we all know.
25. Mr. Wang does not ______as a teacher of English as his pronunciation is terrible.
26. The clothes a person wears may express his ______or social position.
27. In some countries, traffic police can ______instant fines on speeding motorists.
28. It is very ______of you to let us know you are going to be late.
29. I have to ______my visit as I’ll be very busy next week.
A. call for
B. call on
C. call off
D. call in
30. Most of the students are said to ______the proposed new training system.
31. His marked changes in personality were ______by a series of unfortunate events in his life.
A. brought to
B. brought out
C. brought about
D. brought up
32. Respect for the law is the foundation of civilized living, ______breaks it will be punished.
C. people who
D. no matter who
33. John worked late into the night, ______a speech for tomorrow’s meeting.
B. to prepare
C. was preparing
34. Three new buildings ______on the campus by the end of this year.
A. will be built
B. are going to be built
C. will have been built
D. have been built
35. One should never lose heart when ______with temporary difficulties.
A. being confronted
C. having been confronted
36. The class needs a monitor ______.
A. whom everyone has confidence on
B. who everyone has confidence of
C. for whom everyone has confidence
D. in whom everyone has confidence
37. It is reported that there is no better ______for mother’s milk.
38. After a number of disagreements with the committee, the chairman decided to ______.
39. Physicists have made new discoveries that: challenge